Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Sweeter Things

I hope that eveybody reading these words can honestly say that they enjoy food. I truly feel sorry for those individuals (particularly over-thin models and the like) who do not. One does not have to be obese or overweight to do so, either. It's just a matter of appreciating what you have - and one of the things that we Americans have in bounty is food. There are so many people in the world who are lucky to have enough of anything to fill their stomachs - nevermind whether it tastes good or not.

The reason I bring this up because I got to appreciate one of my favorites today - a piece of chocolate cake, which I shared with my dad. I throughoughly enjoyed every bite. I don't want this to make me sound greedy or pig-like in any way. My point is that with that there is an ongoing trend in the U.S.A. primarily toward dieting and being excessively skinny. I'm totally in favor of healthiness, but I am not at all in favor of not enjoying what you're eating. And of course, one must always be moderate in one's dietary habits - but every now and then it is encouraged that one indulge in one of those little favorites. And when you do, savor it! It is always a pleasure to enjoy one of the sweeter things in life.

This time of year, I highly recomend the fruit - peaches, pears, nectarines, apples... My little sister likes for me to tell her a certain french fairy tale called "The Three Sacks of Truth," which begins with a selfish and greedy king going on a hunt for the perfect peach. He need not look any futher, because I think I found it - in my sack lunch yesterday. Even though I ended up with sticky hands and peach juice all over the place, it was the most delightful thing I have tasted in a long time. So everyone take advantage of the fresh fruit stands while they're still around! That perfect sweetness is worth every penny. 

Also, I discovered tody that if anything can stir the observer's soul, it's a sunrise. I watched the sun peak over the mountins this morning, and it was like God's presence on Sianai. There were beams of golden light pouring over the peaks and into the valley, and the ridges were lit up like a temple. It was a breathtaking sight. So next time you get the chance, find out when the sunrise is happening where you are and get up to watch it. It is well worth the sleep you're sacrificing, I promise.

-Till tomorrow - Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I finish clacking at these keys, I'm setting my alarm clock for six. Your description of the sunrise is too, too divine! "God's presence on Sinai" - such a powerful, apt allusion. Yes indeedy, I will be waking up BEFORE the crack of dawn tomorrow to find myself a clear view of the eastern skyline!

    And about "The Three Sacks of Truth..." I'm terribly curious about this selfish king and his hunt for the perfect peach. I Googled it, but nothing came up. Could you possibly send me an email with the story? Pretty please, with whipped cream and marshmallows on top?

    ReplyDelete