Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Begining

This is me. Or rather, this is my blog. This is a completely new thing for me, so have patience if something cataclysmic happens all of a sudden - I probably didn't intend it - and excuse the momentary lack of decoration. I'm still figuring out this whole business. It isn't the sort of thing I would usually have undertaken, either - but my dear friend Jessica (Jubie) of heavenscrumble.blogspot.com, has inspired me to give it a go.

The purpose of this solitary little internet page is magic. But I'm not going to go on about Harry Potter here (Ok, I might a little, but only where necessary). The kind of magic I'm talking about is the kind of thing that happens every day. Like leaves changing color, or the first page of a great book, or the smile of a complete stranger right when you needed it the most. All of the brand new discoveries of every day life that so little of humanity gets to make. So I am going to put a little more effort into noticing these small but magical things and write them down for anyone who cares to listen, and I encourage my readers (whomever they be) to share their own discoveries with me as well.

-oo0oo-

DAY THE FIRST

I had to ride back to my apartment today from campus to get a rental movie (Harry Potter 2, consequently) that needed returning but was still sitting on my VCR (yes, I still use one - and casettes, too!). It seemed like a pain at first, but once I got going I suddenly realized what a beautiful day it was. It was perfect for biking - not a cloud in the sky, and gentle breeze blowing, and blushing shade trees growing in all the right places. After a couple weeks of stress and homesickness, this little trip off the beaten path was just what I needed - a chance to get away from the books and enjoy some of the simple pleasures of nice weather. I got back feeling refreshed, exhilarated, and revitalized.

So my advice for the day is this: don't get so caught up in life that you forget about living! Enjoy what's around you - from the warm sun in the heavens to the cookie in your lunch. They are all such blessings.

In other notes of interest - just in case anyone cares - I have my first midterm exams this week. I think this blog and the package of oreos stashed in my cupboard at home are the only things keeping me from going crazy. I think it will be fine - and at any rate, it will be funny to reflect on what a nut I will be the day before. If it's possible to study like a maniac, I will most certainly be doing it.

Thanks for reading in! Farewell 'till next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel - This is your mom. It's odd to be a step removed from your child's life when they leave to live away from home. I'll enjoy reading your blog and "getting to know you" through your writing. I love your theme and your idea that it's important to look for the little things in life. I'll be following your blog!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear - and smattering of sparkilies! You've got it exactly right, Rachel. Sometimes people get so caught up in scurrying from one event to the next like so many beetles in a jar that they forget to stop, breathe, and LOOK at the world around them. There's magic for anyone who has two eyes, half a mind, and the patience to see. Hopefully between the two of our blogs, we can pry some crusty eyelids open. ;-)

    P.S. LOVE that Lint quote

    ReplyDelete